This is something I decided to put together on a whim. I wanted to photograph my new ro geiko ensemble, so I decided to document the process of dressing the manequin with photos.
From those I've put together a very basic tutorial of how to achieve an authentic geiko look with your kitsuke. Great for cosplaying. If you need more detailed information check out these sites: [link]
and [link]CLICK THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON TO VIEW THE TEXT AND IMAGES AT FULL SIZE!
Now, some vocabulary for beginners:Geiko
- Fully fledged geisha.Hikizuri
- Long kimono meant to be worn trailing.Hadajuban
- Undermost layer put on when donning kimonoJuban
- Layer between the Hadajuban and the outer kimonoHiyoku
- Second layer of fabric around the collar and hem of the outer kimono. This is meant to give the illusion of wearing yet another layer under the outer kimonoOhashiori
- Waist fold used to adjust the length of the kimono.Koshihimo
- Fabric tie used to secure the kimono in place beneath the obiObi
- Belt used when wearing kimonoOtaiko Musubi
- Drum Knot. Style of tying the obiObijime
- Decorative cord tied over top of the obiSensu
- Japanese folding fan